As newer technology produces an ever increasing volume of biological data, without bioinformatics know-how, valuable insights may remain undiscovered, hidden in a pile of data. We are convinced many golden needles are buried there.
In order to respond to the increasing importance of bioinformatics in biotechnology research, VIB set up the VIB Bioinformatics Core. The goals of our core are:
- to provide training and e-learning resources in bioinformatics tools, programming, statistics, NGS, omics and single cell data analysis;
- to distribute scientific software for use across VIB;
- to provide bioimage informatics services in collaboration with VIB Bioimaging Core;
- to contribute in software development of bioinformatics applications;
- to provide bioinformatics services as well as single and multi-omics data analysis projects to VIB researchers;
- to foster the Bioinformatics @ VIB community.
VIB scientists and other academics can join our training courses in various bioinformatics fields. Our training services are free for VIB employees.
We provide resources for software development of bioinformatics applications for VIB scientists. Via two calls per year, we invite the bioinformatics community at VIB to submit proposals on software projects with significant impact and track records over the past years.
VIB boasts a large bioinformatics population, consisting of approximately 150 scientists in more than 10 research groups, spread across all of the VIB Research Centers and VIB Core Facilities.
VIB Community Meeting (2nd edition)
On 12 December 2017 there was the second edition of the VIB Community Meeting on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology in Brussels. With this meeting we aim to connect bioinformaticians from all research centers with each other by means of flash presentations by all PhDs and postdocs. With the parallel sessions in the afternoon we hope to learn more about the software developers at VIB, integrative bioinformatics, NGS/single-cell and proteomics work by our bioinformaticians.
The participants evaluated this edition of the community meeting by means of a survey. The results can be found here! During this meeting Christof De Bo presented another version of community building dedicated for software developers/programmers. A team will be assembled to organise such interactive meetings, stay tuned!
Scientific software support
We distribute and provide support for bioinformatics and scientific software to VIB scientists.
- CLC Genomics Workbench
- CLC Main Workbench
- E-Notebook (ELN)
- GraphPad Prism
- Ingenuity Pathways Analysis